Friday 6 July 2012

Seeing Red

Guest beauty blogger, Morgan, shares her newfound passion for the iconic 'red lippy.'

I have to say that I have also been inspired to indulge in this new trend and, as I type this, my lips are currently gleaming in MAC's Russian Red.

You gotta be brave to go this bright but once you take the plunge it's worth it!
I receive nothing but compliments whenever I wear it...

As someone once said: 'Only Russian Red is going to get me through this day...'

Enjoy :)

Seeing Red
I have always loved everything about the 1950’s. I often think I was born in the wrong era! I should have lived in the times of Marilyn Monroe, Audrey Hepburn & Betty Page – I love everything about the era; from the cropped cardigans, the printed dresses, high waisted skirts, headbands, pearls, curled and high maintenanced hair to the immaculate make up.
A star that has immortalized this look successfully in the 21st century is Dita Von Teese.

Another series star that’s bringing the look back is a character from my new favorite programme, Hart of Dixie, “Lemon” played by Jaime King.
She has subsequently become my style icon and, as a result, has inspired me to start wearing red lipstick!



So, my inspired adventure into finding the perfect red came about not only to vamp up my current make up look (which, let’s admit we often get bored of) but also because it has to be said that there are some essentials every girl needs in her life… like the little black dress and in my opinion, added to that, is a hot red lipstick (think of it as the little black dress of make -up) ?
Nothing says ‘I’m confident, sophisticated and in control” like red lips.

General Rules when Choosing a Red Lipstick:
There are some century old guidelines to choosing the right red lipstick for you and I found it to be a trail and eliminations process. My advice is to take the time to find the one you love and suits you best (regardless of price). Explore different brands, try them on, ask the experts’ advice etc.
Apart from that here are some guidelines to help you find the perfect red:
The rule is that there are different reds to suit/accompany different skin tones. But, with anything, there are not hard or fast rules. It’s flexible and it completely depends on the person and skin tone but use these pointers as a guide:
·        Cool skin tones/ Fair skin tones are better suited to blue based red lipsticks, think scarlett, cranberry or dark berry. E.g. Russian Red by MAC

·        Warm skin tone/ Olive skin tones are better suited to bright reds - brick and orange based reds.  Seek out a fire engine or poppy shades.

·        Unknown: if you want to throw caution to the wind and chose a color that is universally suited to everyone than go with what they call a “true red” lipstick, a true red lipstick will have equal warm and cool tones. Neither too blue, nor too orange, a true red lipstick is a universally flattering red lipstick. E.g. Ruby Woo by MAC


·        If you don't know what your skin tone is just remember cool skin tones have fair complexions with pink undertones (think Nicole Kidman, Angelina Jolie, Scarlett Johansson) and warmer skin tones have olive or blue undertones (think Penelope Cruz, Keira Knightley)

·        In my case, I am equally warm and cool in skin tone which makes shopping for foundation a pain (and an entirely separate blog post in itself) but I’m lucky in the fact that I suit both types of red lipsticks.


Once you have finally found your perfect red, alas there are always rules to wearing it:
Rules of the Red Lippy:
·        Due to the high concentrate in color, red or any other intense color lipstick should never be worn WITHOUT a matching lip liner to keep it in place and stop it bleeding out of your lip lines.(most make up houses have matching red lip liners to complement their red lipsticks).

·        Further to that, red lipstick should never haphazardly be applied and NEVER without a mirror. It's also best applied with a lip brush for accurate & perfect application and a mirror is a must - we're aiming for white teeth girls not red!



·        Ladies, I’m sorry but it has to be said, being drunk and wearing red lipstick are not conducive to one another.  It just looks trashy – there I said it.

·        They always say: as a lady, show one or the other when you’re dressed to go out – the cleavage or the legs- not both. In my opinion I believe that’s also true when it comes to wearing red lips. Choose one: hot red lips and cleavage or hot red lips and legs - not both.  I don’t want to say the 'T' word again.

·        Remember that when you have a lip that’s screaming keep the rest of your make up to a minimal, dark eyes i.e. black eyeliner & mascara are a win, but keep eye shadow to neutral colors and cheeks nude to bronzed look.

·        Help keep red lipstick on longer by using a lip primer/moisturizer. It also helps to make sure your lips are not dry or chapped before putting on red lipstick.

·        The perfect accessory to your new red lips, is matching red nails. If you have the budget, the more expensive make up houses e.g Chanel have the nail polish to match the lips J



Lastly ladies- how NOT to do it L



These stars definitely chose the wrong lipstick for their skin tone. It looks gaudy and grim.
REMEMBER: red is meant to pop and make you look fresh!

A few Interesting Facts about the colour Red:
In antiquity, the color red was thought to fight off evil. In the 18th century, it was a popular color to wear as a wedding gown. In some cultures, it is still popular for a bride to wear a red veil to symbolize love and fertility.
Red is the most emotionally intense colour and stimulates a faster heartbeat and breathing. It is also the colour of love.
No matter what red means to you, if you decide to take the plunge and wear it on your lips, remember this quote from a MAC make- up artist: “Are you ready for red?”

Your beauty blogger
Morgan Wanckel
<3

 
 

1 comment: